Sunday, February 7, 2016

What I Learned from My First Beauty Pageant- Finding Beauty in the Imperfections

Hello again friends.  Well, this week has certainly been a crazy whirlwind of events and lessons learned...probably because it was a week of reaching outside of my comfort zone.  This week I was in my first beauty pageant. I know, shocker, but it was definitely an experience that taught me a lot....like how you can hold your dress up and high heels on with hairspray (who knew!).  But the learning did not stop there..this week..this pageant....taught me all sorts of things about the idea of "perfection".  The idea how draining and ridiculous the idea of "perfection" is was brought to my attention in huddles after I gave my testimony.  Our girls huddle sat after FCA and talked about how we all hide behind these masks we use to try and hide our imperfections from the world....because we have this consuming need to be "perfect".  "Perfection" is a crazy thought.  To think that we could ever be "perfect" on our own is an even crazier thought. We all wear these fancy masks to try and pull the whole "perfect" image off all the time, and it's not only girls, guys do it too.  We think if we can look like we have it all together and like our life is "perfect", everything will be okay and no one will be able to see our weaknesses. It really is a crazy thought.  Then later in the week I encountered the idea of "perfection" once again in chapel.  Our speaker for that service talked about her freshman year in college, and how she wore these masks to make her the perfect fit for the different groups she was involved in.  She discussed how draining it was trying to be perfect and how the only thing the masks  she wore accomplished was to make her feel more alone than she had ever felt.  Once again, the idea of "perfection" tried to suck the life out of a wonderful child of God.  Then came the night of the Miss Methodist pageant, which was very eye-opening in this whole process of discerning the concept of "perfection".  When I have always thought of pageants I have always thought of these perfect, flawless girls who are super fit and beautiful.  I would have never even immagined puttiing myself in the running for competing in a beauty pageant.  I mean I have acne, I have some fat around my middle, my hair is a mess the majority of the time (because yes I hate brushing my hair).  Before this year, I would have never even considered entering the "pageant world" because I did not consider myself "perfect" enough, but for some crazy reason I decided I wanted to be able to say I had tried a beauty pageant, so I entered Miss Methodist.  When I entered I decided if I was going to do this, I was going to make it as little about me as possible and as much about glorifying God as possible.  Going in I knew I was probably not going to win, I was probably not even going to make the top 5....and I was fine with that because I had a plan for this whole experience.  My plan was to sing a praise and worship song as my talent, and maybe, just maybe, I would be able to fill that place with God and show people a little piece of who he is and how much he loves us...because I knew even though I didn't feel "perfect" enough to be in this pageant, I might could use my gifts to glorify him in a very different way.  That night...I know God was there. I was standing on the stage and singing for him, and I could hear the audience singing along.  I felt like God was allowing me to lead worship in a unique way in a unique venue (let's be honest who would ever think of having a little praise and worship moment in the middle of a beauty pageant).  In that moment, I felt God working through me, and I felt beautiful in my imperfections....I felt filled to the brim with the holy spirit.  Later that night I went on to (surprisingly) make it into the top 5, and later be crowned Miss Congeniality.  It was overall a great night..not because I did well,,, but because I know God worked through me...even though I didn't consider myself "perfect."  Then to finish my week I went to church this morning, and the preacher preached on masks and perfection, and I was like "Okay God I know you are trying to tell me something."  The preacher talked about how we are not perfect, and how we are broken and covered in sin, and we try to hide it under these masks that make us look "perfect".  But God made us in his image and made us just as we are, and he has rescued us from our imperfections when he let his son die on the cross for us.  I was kind of like "holy cow God" because it finally clicked that he had basically been telling me all week that I am made beautiful in my imperfections.  He was showing me perfection is impossible and unachievable, no one is perfect, and that that's okay because he rescued us.  I think we get so caught up in being perfect that we forget what God actually put on this earth for, and that is to be his hands and feet.  He put us here to glorify him in EVERYTHING we do...not to be perfect.  I tend to believe God does not call us to be perfect, but he calls us to give him our best.  It's like playing a sport, you don't have to be the best to make a difference, but you have to give it your best to make a difference.  We are all imperfect, we are all flawed, we are all covered in sin, but the cross made us white as snow.  We are made perfect in our imperfections by God's love, and God see's beauty in our imperfections.  Just like in the beauty pageant, No, I was not the most beautiful girl up there, no I was not the most talented girl up there, no I was not the most elegant or well-spoken girl, but God still spoke through me. He used me even though I am not perfect, even though I am a broken vessel...just like he uses each and every one of you every day of your lives.  So quit trying to be perfect and getting caught up in trying to wear a mask to hide all of your imperfections. Instead, embrace them.  We are all broken vessels, so use everything about you (imperfections and all) to praise the Lord.  You don't have to be the best or be perfect...you just have to give him your best every day.
It's like I always say to the people I love when they are struggling with the idea of perfection: You don't have to be perfect. There is beauty to be found in imperfection (and I would know). We are all broken. We all struggle. We make mistakes. We all overthink and get too much in our minds. But that's okay. As people, we are not damaged goods. We are whole in christ... and that's where the beauty in the imperfection comes in. So stay strong and remember to find beauty in the imperfections.

"Looking at his disciples, he said:
“Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,    for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when people hate you,    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil,
        because of the Son of Man."
Luke 6:20-22

" He makes everything beautiful in its time"
Ecclesiastes 3:11

3 comments:

  1. As always, I'm very proud of you. Much love...you are my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, you amaze me with your insight. Many of us struggle with the idea of perfection well into adulthood. You've got such strength of character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith, as I have told you, I am so proud of all of the growth experiences you are having. Your insights here are on point and well spoken. I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete